- · “We Were Children” Residential School DVD.
You can rent it at the National Film Board site for $2.50 for an individual one-time online viewing.
There is also a copy available in the AGP.
“Art+Reconciliation,” is a MOOC that addresses how artistic practices can engage in questions of reconciliation, most particularly in the Canadian context of residential schools and the associated and ongoing Truth and Reconciliation Commission. As part of our process we will examine the history of the residential school system in Canada, discuss strategies of creating and increasing an awareness of Indigenous practices and histories from Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal perspectives, engage in a critical inquiry of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission on Indian Residential Schools, and all the while think through how artistic media can be a driving force in this articulation.
U.B.C.- free workshops, exhibition openings and symposium focusing on the TRC (Truth and Reconciliation Commission)
Note that you must register for these classes online.
- Thurs. Sept. 5, 2013, 9:15 am –11:45 am
Incorporating Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) Resources into Your Teaching and Learning
- Fri. Sept. 6, 2013, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. – Exhibition opening
Belkin Art Gallery “Witnesses: Art and Canada’s Indian Residential Schools” Exhibit
- Sun. Sept. 8, 2013, 1:30 – 3:30 pm
Artist Talk with Jamasie Pitseolak and Tania Willard at the Belkin
- Thurs. Sept. 12, 2013, 10:00 am – 1:00 p.m.
Engaging Reconciliation in the Classroom: Critical Perspectives and Strategies:
- Fri. Nov. 15, Symposium at the Belkin
Traumatic Histories, Artistic Practice and Working from the Margins
- link to Cultivating Canada, a book on reconciliation through the lens of cultural diversity, edited by Ashok Mathur and Jonathan Dewar.
- · link to the Legacy of Hope Foundation for good teaching resources
- · link to the Vancouver TRC and its daily schedule
- link to the Reconciliation Canada website
- link to the City of Vancouver “Year of Reconciliation” website which lists many of the associated events across the city. The right hand column has a listing of events.
- Sept. 16, 2013, 6:00pm–8:00pm, Lighting the Flame
- Sept. 17, 2013, 12:00pm–2:00pm, The All Nations Canoe Gathering
- Sept. 22, 2013, 8:30am to 1:30pm, The Walk for Reconciliation